- 8 small Japanese eggplants
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Either on the top shelf of your broiler, or directly on your gas stove, char the eggplant, turning to insure every bit of skin is charred. Don’t worry, you’re going to peel off the charred skin, so you really want to get the skin black and flakey as this is where the smoky aroma will come from.
- Set the charred eggplant aside until it cools enough to handle. Flake most of the black skin off (it’s okay if there’s a little left), then shred the eggplant by pulling it apart with your fingers and place it in a mesh strainer for 30 minutes to drain the extra liquid.
- Mince the eggplant, and then combine it in a bowl with the tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Stir well to combine and adjust seasonings to taste. Garnish with more olive oil and chopped parsley or sumac. Serve with crackers or chips.