Beets aren't just a side vegetables but can be used in sweet recipes such as dessert. Purchase your favorite box of chocolate cake mix and beets for a surprisingly delicious treat.
Source: Cornell Cooperative Extension, Schenectady County
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (use your favorite, just make sure it is the kind you have to add water, eggs and oil to)
- 1 cup pureed red beets ( you can use canned, just make sure they do not have added salt)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 eggs (one whole egg, two egg whites)
- confectionery sugar
- Heat oven to 350° F for shiny metal or glass pan or 325° F for dark or non-stick pan. Grease bottom only of 13x9 inch pan or bundt pan. Puree beets using a food processor.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, pureed red beets, water and eggs by hand or use a hand mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes. (You may need to add a little more water to the mixture—it depends on the consistency of your beets). Pour into pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. If using a non-stick pan, lengthen cooking time (approximately 5 minutes).
- Cool for 20 minutes, then frost as desired or sprinkle top with confectioners’ sugar.
Nutrition InfoEach serving (without frosting) provides 209 calories, 71 calories from fat, 7.9 grams fat, 1.8 grams saturated fat, 47 mg cholesterol, 387 mg sodium, 33.4 grams carbohydrates, 1.3 grams fiber, 17.9 grams sugar, 4.2 grams protein