For best results, bake these cakes at least a day before serving. Store, wrapped in plastic, for up to three days at room temperature, or freeze for up to three months.
- 1- 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 bar (8 ounces) cream cheese room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. With an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar; beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. With mixer on low, add flour and salt in two additions, beating until just combined.
- Generously coat two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2 inch loaf pans (1-1/2 quarts each) with cooking spray; immediately pour in batter (pan will seem full). Tap pans on work surface to eliminate any large air bubbles.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out almost clean, 60 to 75 minutes (if the tops begin to brown too quickly, tent with aluminum foil).
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan. Turn out the cakes; cool completely, with top sides up, on a wire rack.
Tips/TechniquesNote: You can also bake the batter in a 4-quart tube or Bundt pan. Increase the cooking time by about 5 minutes.
Nutrition InfoPer serving: 308 calories; 16.3 grams fat; 4 grams protein; 37.3 grams carbohydrates; 0.4 gram fiber