View all FOODPHILES recipes
Recipe courtesy of Milt's BBQ for the Perplexed via WTTW Chicago
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 5 cups minus 2 tbsp. soy milk
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup neutral-flavored oil, such as canola
- Raw sugar for top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine cornmeal, soy milk, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Fold in the wet mixture, eggs, and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Liberally sprinkle top with raw sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, rotate 180 degrees, and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.