Use a dutch over or deep fryer to prepare this fried soft-shell crab recipe for a mouth-watering meal. Recipe shared by Chef John Folse on Bringing It Home with Laura McIntosh.
Total time: 45 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- Ingredients for Batter:
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsps Creole mustard
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Ingredients for Breading:
- 2 cups yellow corn flour
- 2¼ tsps salt
- 1½ tsps granulated garlic
- 1½ tsps cracked black pepper
- 1½ tsps cayenne pepper
- 1½ tsps thyme
- Ingredients for Frying:
- 6 soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- 1½ quarts vegetable oil
- Method for Batter: In a 1-quart mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well blended. Set aside.
- Method for Breading: In a 1-quart mixing bowl, combine all breading ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Method for Frying: Clean soft-shell crab by picking up end of shell and removing gills on each side with a paring knife.
- Remove apron from underside of crab and cut away eyes and mouth. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or home-style deep-fryer, preheat oil to 375°F according to manufacturer's directions.
- Place soft-shell crabs in batter and marinate 10–15 minutes.
- Drain excess liquid from crabs and coat well in breading mixture, shaking off excess.
- Fry one at a time until crab turns golden brown and floats to top of oil. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove crab from oil and drain on paper towels. Serve hot with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.