- 2 pkg. yeast
- 1/4 c. warm water
- 1 Tblsp. sugar
- 2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. shortening + 1 Tblsp. butter
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 egg yolks (3 or 4 may be used)
- 6 to 6 1/2 c. flour
- Cream cheese filling mix well together:
- 2 — 8 oz. packages of cream cheese
- 1 Tblsp. of vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 c. sugar
- Heat milk, add shortening and butter to dissolve. Let cool to lukewarm. In a large bowl, mix yeast, water and 1 Tbsp. sugar. Let set.
- Add salt, egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar to milk mixture and mix well. Add yeast mixture. Add flour a little at a time.
- Work dough until glossy. Brush with margarine or butter. Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour).
- Cut off small pieces with a spoon and shape into round balls. The dough can also be rolled out like you would for biscuits and cut with a biscuit cutter.
- Place rounds of dough on a greased baking sheet. Butter each well. Make an indentation with fingers in each round and fill with filling of your choice.
- Bake at 425 degrees F.
Tips/TechniquesBrush with margarine or butter after baking.