- For the cupcakes:
- 1 ¾ cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup natural cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups plain yogurt
- For the frosting:
- ¾ cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tablespoon natural can sugar
- 1 ½ sticks (¾ cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Make the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest on medium until well combined, about 3 minutes. Beat in lemon juice, vanilla, and egg. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of yogurt and beating until just combined (do not overmix).
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until cakes are golden and a tester inserted in centers comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer tin to a wire rack and let cakes cool completely.
- Make the Frosting: In a food processor, puree berries with can sugar until smooth. Pass mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing to extract as much liquid as possible.
- In another bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter on medium-high until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. With mixer on medium, add confectioners’ sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating well before adding each addition. Beat in berry puree.
- Use an offset spatula to spread frosting over each cupcake. Unfrosted cupcakes can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days. Frosting can be refrigerated up to 2 days; bring to room temperature, and beat on low until smooth again before using.
Tips/TechniquesReprinted from A New Way to Bake: Classic Recipes Updated with Better-for-You Ingredients from the Modern Pantry by the Editors of Martha Stewart Living. Copyright © 2017 by Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.