Recipe by Michael Procopio
- 1 lb. fresh cherries pitted
- 3⁄ 4 cup sugar
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄ 4 cup Amaretto
- Juice of one lemon
- Sour cream
- Bring water, sugar, cherries, and cardamom to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Make a slurry of the cornstarch and two tablespoons of water. Pour into stewing cherries and stir until clear and slightly thickened.
- Remove about one cup of the cherries and purée. Add back into the pot. Add lemon juice, stir, and chill.
- Add Amaretto or other liqueur before service, stir, then pour into bowls.
- Place a generous dollop of sour cream on top and garnish with whatever you like