- Ingredients for Brown Sugar Crust
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Ingredients for Filling
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1 8-ounce container mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom plus a pinch more (Think 1/3 teaspoon.)
- 3 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Prepare the crust first. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, blend flour, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt until combined. Add butter and vanilla and pulse until fine crumbs form and the dough starts to come together.
- Press dough evenly over bottom and up sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until edges are golden. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, use a zester and collect the zest from both oranges. You should have about 1 1/2 teaspoons. Cut remaining pith from oranges, then slice oranges into thin rounds. Cut rounds crosswise in half to make a fan shape and set on paper towels to drain excess moisture. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine mascarpone, cream, sugar, 1 tablespoon honey, cardamom and orange zest. Beat on medium speed just until blended and peaks form. Do not over-mix.
- Spread filling over cooled crust and refrigerate. When ready to serve, arrange orange slices over the top, sprinkle with pistachios and drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon honey.
Tips/TechniquesGet the cardamom and pistachios from the bulk bin of your market to keep the ingredients fresh and inexpensive. In a pinch (or when the weather’s too hot to bake), use a regular 9-inch graham cracker pie crust.