Paradise soup is so named because who would think that tiny meatballs made solely from bread, cheese and eggs could taste, well, so heavenly in ready prepared chicken or beef broth. I think you will be surprised. Watch Mary Ann Esposito make Paradise Soup at CiaoItalia.com!
- 3/4 cup sifted dry bread crumbs from real bread
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 quarts prepared chicken or beef broth
- In a bowl combine the bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Form into small marble sized meatballs. Set aside.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a 3 quart soup pot. Reduce the heat to medium high and add the meatballs. Cook gently for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve hot
Tips/TechniquesCook's Secret: When it comes to bread crumbs, the quality of the bread does make a difference. Boxed bread crumbs are but a pale imitation of the real thing. Make your own from stale bread by drying out the pieces in a low heat oven and then reduce the pieces to fine crumbs in a food processor or by hand using a rolling pin.Store in the refrigerator.