- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup canned solid-packed pumpkin pureé done
- 1/3 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, rye flour and baking powder. To another medium bowl, add the pumpkin puree, olive oil, eggs, spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and cardamom, white sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; whisk until mixture is smooth. Next, fold in the flour mixture until just combined, being sure not to over mix the batter. Over mixing will result in tough bread. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Transfer the batter to the greased loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with a handful of sunflower seeds and transfer to the oven. Bake the loaf for 25 to 30 minutes, or until they are puffed, golden brown and a wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes and serve warm.
Tips/TechniquesThis recipe can also be used to create 12 muffins.