- 120 grams (4.2 ounces) stale baguette
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Put your oven rack in the middle position and pre-heat to 350 degrees F (175 C). Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and place a wire rack on top.
- Use a bread knife and a sawing motion to cut the bread into even 1/4" (6mm) slices.
- Melt the butter and put the sugar in a separate plate.
- Use a pastry brush to brush a generous amount of butter onto both sides of each slice of bread. Dip both sides of the bread in the sugar and tap off any excess sugar. Place the bread on the wire rack.
- When you've coated all the bread, place the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the bread is golden brown (about 15 minutes). You may need to turn the sheet around half-way through if the bread is browning unevenly.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the rusk to cool completely. The rusk will keep for up to two weeks in a sealed container.