View all FOODPHILES recipes
Recipe courtesy of Arun's via WTTW Chicago
- 4 oz. strip steak, grilled medium-rare
- 1 tbsp. corn oil (or olive oil)
- 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper, if preferred
- 1/2 C. lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. or to taste ground red chilies
- 2 tsp. roasted rice powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp. scallion, cut into 1-inch pieces, lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp. mint leaves
- 1 tbsp. red bell or finger hot chilies, julienned
- 1 tbsp. saw leaf herb, chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp. tamarind juice
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- Rub steak with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Grill over medium heat in a hot pan or on a grill.
- Slice beef into thin piece. Set aside.
- Toast raw rice in a pan over low heat. Ground into powder. Set aside.
- Add thinly sliced grilled beef and all fresh herbs (lemongrass, ground red chilies, roasted rice powder, shallots, saw-leaf herbs, scallion, mint leaves, julienned red chilies, and cilantro) in a large salad bowl. Gently toss until well mixed.
- Add tamarind juice, fish sauce, lime juice, and granulated sugar.
- Taste and serve.