This tater tot recipe appears in Food Flirts. Papri Chaat is a traditional Northern Indian dish that starts with a starchy base of crispy fried dough wafers, boiled potatoes and chickpeas, with toppings that include different vegetables, yogurt sauce and tamarind chutney. Papri Chaat can be served alongside a cheeseburger dosa.
- 1 pound frozen tater tots
- ½ cup cooked chick peas
- ½ cup medium-diced cucumber
- ½ cup medium-diced red beefsteak tomato
- ¼ cup thinly-sliced scallion
- ¼ cup pickled red onions (see recipe for Pickled Indian Vegetables)
- ¼ cup yogurt sauce (see recipe for Yogurt Sauce)
- ¼ cup tamarind chutney (available at Asian or Indian grocery stores)
- Bake the tater tots according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer half of the hot tater tots to a serving platter.
- Top the tater tots with half of the cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, and pickled red onions.
- Add the remaining tater tots to the platter and top with the remaining vegetables.
- Drizzle the Yogurt Sauce and tamarind chutney on top and serve immediately.
Tips/TechniquesTater tots are grated potatoes, deep-fried and formed into a cylindrical shape. They were offered for sale by Ore-Ida, a division of the H. J. Heinz Company in 1956. The words, “tater tots,” have come to be used as a generic term for crispy fried grated potato nuggets.