- 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 slices sandwich bread (whole-grain or white) or other bread product (such as bagels English muffins, pita, waffles)
- Spread the peanut butter on 1 slice of bread. Top with any of the following ingredients and sandwich with the second slice of bread.
- Variations 1/2 banana, thinly sliced 2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped 3 tablespoons sprouts (any variety, including alfalfa, clover, and broccoli) 5 slices cucumber 1/4 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced 2 1/2 tablespoons raisins and a drizzle of honey 1 tablespoon jam or jelly and 1/4 cup fresh raspberries or blackberries 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- Or shake up the classic PB & J by buttering both sides of the sandwich and then heating it in a skillet over medium heat until golden and crisp on each side, just like a grilled cheese sandwich.