- Vegetable shortening (to grease pan)
- 4 cups farina (same as Cream of Wheat [tm])
- 1 1/4 cups melted butter (2 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- Check with a grownup, and wash your hands before you begin.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Put the butter in the microwave-safe bowl, and heat 15 seconds at a time until mostly melted.
- Mix farina, sugar and butter in a bowl.
- Mix the baking soda and baking powder, then stir into the yogurt in another bowl. When mixed, add it to the farina mixture and blend together.
- Grease the baking pan with a little shortening (or, to make it more authentic, 2 tablespoons tahini, which is sesame paste) and pour the batter in. (As an option, you can drizzle the top with 2 tablespoons of yogurt.)
- Using a knife, score the top of the batter into medium-sized rectangles -- or to be a bit fancier, try diamond shapes! (You'll probably make 12-16 pieces.) Place a blanched almond in the middle of each piece.
- Using your oven mitts, put the pan into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until it's brown on top.
- When the cake is done, have a grownup take it out of the oven. Let it cool for 10 minutes while you clean up the kitchen.
- Drizzle honey over the top. Cut along the lines you scored. Now share it with all your friends!
Tips/TechniquesUTENSILS:2 mixing bowls, 1 microwave-safe bowl, mixing spoon, measuring spoons, measuring cup, baking pan (17" x 12" or similar), knife, oven mitts, and a small pot