- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- 4 boneless 1/2-inch thick chicken cutlets
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 4 ounces Asiago cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put the flour, salt and pepper in a paper bag. Add the cutlets and coat in the flour. Set aside.
- Mix the oregano with the Panko crumbs in a shallow bowl. Coat the cutlets in the egg and dredge in the Panko crumbs. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan and brown the cutlets on both sides.
- Cover the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking pan with one cup of the tomato sauce. Add the cutlets in a single layer. Cover them with the remaining tomato sauce. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.Uncover the dish, sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake 5 minutes longer until melted. Serve hot.
Tips/TechniquesYou may substitute fiore di latte mozzarella for the Asiago cheese.