- 2 lily bulbs
- 1 small sweet onion sliced vertically and separated into "petals"
- 2 wild onions blanched
- Green asparagus blanched and sliced lengthwise
- White asparagus blanched and sliced lengthwise
- Lily stems sliced into a fine chiffonade
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fermented black beans rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup mirin
- Slice lily bulb into "petals" and sauté in olive oil until crisp.
- Combine lily bulb petals with onion as a base. Layer with blanched wild onions, sliced green asparagus and sliced white asparagus. Top with sliced lily stems.
- Drizzle liberally with black bean vinaigrette (see recipe below).
- Suggested garnish: allium or chive flowers and pansies.
- Black Bean Vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients.
Tips/TechniquesPlease note: When working with edible flowers, ensure that they have NOT been treated with any chemicals.
Recipe courtesy of Ken Oringer
© 2006 Ken Oringer
This segment appears in show #3106.