- 2 cups hulled English peas blanched in salted water until cooked through, iced and drained
- 1 cup packed spinach iced and drained
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 English cucumber ends removed, washed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Marukan Ponzu
- 1/2 lb. pea shoots
- 4 large scallops prepped
- 1/2 cup Curry Tea Spice Rub
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Additional extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- To make the gazpacho, combine the peas, spinach, onion, garlic, ginger, and cucumbers in a food processor and purée until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper and check for flavor. With the food processor running, drizzle in about half the extra virgin olive oil. Check again for flavor. (If the consistency is too thick, add a little water.)
- Pass the purée through a china cap to strain and then chill.
- Make a vinaigrette by whisking together the shallots, Dijon mustard, and Ponzu with the remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and check for flavor. Toss lightly with the pea shoots right before serving.
- Coat the scallops on both sides with the curry tea spice rub. In a hot sauté pan coated lightly with olive oil, sear the scallops and cook through, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- To serve, ladle the chilled soup into 4 chilled soup plates or bowls. Place a small mound of the pea shoot salad in the middle and top with a hot scallop.
Tips/TechniquesThis segment appears in show #2714.
Recipe courtesy of Ming Tsai
© 2002 Ming Tsai