- 2 sticks unsalted butter (preferably European or European style) chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour plus more for the work surface
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a food processor, or in a large bowl using your fingers, mix the butter, sugar, zest, vanilla, flour, and salt until crumbly. Knead the dough in the bowl until it comes together. Place the dough on a large sheet of lightly floured work surface and roll it to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Trim the edges to form a large circle. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 300° F. Cut the dough into 16 wedges. Transfer the parchment paper and dough to a baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 45 minutes. Let cool.
- Tip: To make the shortbread in advance, refrigerate the dough overnight and bake it early in the day.